General

Civilians killed in Syrian government attack in Idlib | Syria News

[ad_1]

The Syrian Civil Defense Organization stated that the government and its allies launched a series of attacks in northwestern Syria controlled by the rebels, killing several civilians.

According to the civil defense organization, a voluntary search and rescue organization operating in areas controlled by the Syrian rebels, at least five people were killed and several others were injured in the shelling in Idlib on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Fatima al-Khatib was shelled in the Jabal al-Zawiya area south of Idlib on Wednesday, destroying a building containing a medical center.

Al-Khatib and her husband Nizar al-Khatib live in a residential area of ​​the building, Served as the director of the medical center. It is the only medical center for thousands of civilians in the area.

“Despite various situations, challenges and irregularities, we will continue our humanitarian work for civilians,” Nizar Khatib told Al Jazeera on Wednesday.

The Syrian Civil Defense Organization said at least four civilians were killed in an attack on a residential area in Idlib on Tuesday. Activists said that among the dead were a 21-year-old woman, a senior university official and his 12-year-old son. At least 11 people were injured in the attack.

An activist told Al Jazeera that Nur Erding Afer, the head of the accounting department of the Faculty of Economics at the University of Idlib, was killed in a rocket attack while trying to rescue his son who had been injured in a previous rocket attack.

Syrian civil defense organization says government forces have targeted a medical center [Ali Haj Suleiman/Al Jazeera]

“He is known for his lofty moral and humanitarian goals because he rejected many job opportunities outside of Syria and helped graduate approximately 3,000 students who will have a significant impact on the future development of Idlib,” the stationed Said Omar Albam, an activist in Syria. Said former students from Idlib City and el-Din Afair.

“Most of the attacks were carried out by Syrian regime forces stationed east of Idlib, with the aim of killing civilians,” Albam added.

The Syrian government forces or their allies did not immediately comment.

The activist Salva Abdul Al-Rahman from the city of Idlib told Al Jazeera that a 21-year-old student was killed when a missile hit her home in the bombing.

“The whole city fell asleep sadly at the news of the girl’s death. I couldn’t bear to go to her funeral this morning. She was a friend of my daughter’s college days,” Idlib city activist Salva Said Salwa Abd Alrahman.

A medical center building in Marayan was destroyed in the attack [Ali Haj Suleiman/Al Jazeera]

Worried about upgrade

“This is the biggest upgrade in a year. The city is full of displaced people, and each of them is beginning to hope and work hard to build the future, hope to stabilize and end the fighting,” Salva added.

She said: “Russia is trying to empty the city and intimidate civilians, sending a message to the world that it is the most powerful in the region and controls the military situation.”

The rebel groups Hayat Tahrir al-Sham (HTS) and the National Liberation Front (NLF) were formerly affiliated with al-Qaida and controlled most of Idlib Province, which was the last territory controlled by Syrian rebels. Since 2020, under the supervision of Russia and Turkey, the ceasefire between the rebels and government forces has basically been held in the region.

The ceasefire ended a large-scale military operation. Government forces took control of the strategic city south of Idlib and the M5 international highway, displacing nearly 1 million civilians who fled to the north of the province.

For Albam, who was displaced from the city of Maarat al-Numan, south of Idlib in 2020, the latest attack appeared to be aimed at displacing civilians. He said he was concerned about possible military escalations in the region, similar to the previous escalations that led to the government’s recapture of territories.

The Syrian government forces are accused of targeting public facilities including schools, hospitals and camps for displaced persons during the decade-long war throughout Syria.

Captain Naji Mustafa, spokesman for the National Liberation Forces, told Al Jazeera that the rebel forces are on high alert for more attacks.

“We are ready to accept all options, or the regime’s military and its Russian and Iranian allies may escalate.

“In response to repeated violations of the ceasefire, today we targeted regime forces and allies deployed in the east and south of Idlib. We caused direct casualties among their ranks,” he added.

A man walks near the ruins of a medical center south of Idlib [Ali Haj Suleiman/Al Jazeera]



[ad_2]

Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button